The initial problem was pointed out to me by one of our iPad users and initially I couldn’t find it (I use a different web browser on my iPad than the default Safari one)…but once I took a look using the default browser I could in fact repeat the issue.
This was actually a good thing though as it meant that it was def. something to do with the browser more so than just a general programming error.
But of course the next thing to figure out was, just what specifically was the Safari browser doing different than all the others?
Though not my specific issue I noticed that a lot of the Stack Overflow issues related to my searches had to do with date formatting…so I thought it couldn’t hurt to play with that in my own code a bit as well…and believe it or not, that *did* fix the issue (I had to replace dashes with slashes in my dates – though I’m still really not sure just why that is).
So now the feature works properly across all the browsers (that I’ve tested)…and overall it was only a couple of hours of digging to get it fixed…but these are just the sort of rabbit holes (with potential land mines scattered throughout) that fill a programmers day (and cut into our overall productivity).
This post has received 27 loves.
Kevin also talks in more depth about many of the these things around twice a month via his drip campaign and has a day job as CTO of Veritonic. You can also check out some of his open source code on GitHub or connect with him on Twitter @falicon or via email at kevin at falicon.com.
If you have comments, thoughts, or want to respond to something you see here I would encourage you to respond via a post on your own blog (and then let me know about the link via one of the routes mentioned above).